|Ciril Kosmac Primary School presents:|
|In the 10. th century Piran became a great power in naval and commerce. In 1188 Piran stipulated a commercial contract with Dubrovnik and with Split in 1192. In 1283 Piran came under the Venetian republic. The town was growing outside of the town-wall. The Venetians built the commune palace near the port, outside the town wall. It had a roman-gothic expression. The Venetian lion with the book was immured on the majority of the most important town buildings; the opened book meant peace, the closed one meant war.
The town Lodge was standing on the place where today we can see the town gallery. From one side it was connected to the commune palace and from the other side to the church of St. Jacob.
On the crossing of the IX. Korpus and the Tartini's square stands a beautiful red palace, the most beautiful representative of the venetian-gothic architecture in Piran, called Venetian house. It was built in the middle of the 15. th century and it is the oldest conserved house on the Tartinis square. Extremely well modelled architectural links and rich stone ornaments decorate the palaces exterior. The most impressive thing is the corner gothic balcony.
The first written documents about Piran are from the 7 th century. The name Piran has its origins in the Greek name for fire - Pyr.
In this period a town-wall around the town was built. The names of the town doors are: The door of Milje, The central door, The cathedral door and The field door.
|To the Slovenian main page|